Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review of Bad Taste In Boys by Carrie Harris

I give this book 4 1/2 out of 5 Gold Stars!



Kate Grable is the brainiest kid at her high school...which makes her the tastiest morsel for the zombies who want to...BRAAAAAAAIIINNNNS NOM NOM NOM NOM

Kate, as the student med assistant/trainer for her high school's football team, she gets to be near the adorable Aaron (not that she'd ever work up the courage to actually talk to him).  However, when she suspects the football coach of juicing the team up on steroids to win games, she finds out that it's not 'roid rage that's been giving her ex-fling, football player Mike the urge to nibble on her neck.

With the whole football team on the verge of a brain-eating rampage, Kate, Aaron, and her uber-geeky younger brother (who I am personally in crush with now), have to find the cure before their high school loses more than a few football games.

This was a quick-tastic read; fast-paced, funny, and headed straight for the action. Author Carrie Harris skates the line between gross and funny with flair (look out for flying fingers!), and it keeps the characters believable - even when they're zombies.  Kate is a kick-butt heroine - intelligent, brave and snarky, and I want to know more about the secondary characters already. Kate's younger brother will, I hope, have his own book one day.  She even set up a really neat moment with a seemingly random young man who was NOT the love interest of Kate, but could be - setting up a possible link to her next book, BAD HAIR DAY which, (don't quote me on this) could be a werewolf connection.

Perhaps the only thing holding it back from the full five stars is that the pace is sometimes so frenetic, that I feel that there might have been a few romantic, poignant, or tender moments that might have ended up on the cutting-room floor.  I'm reminded of an old Billy Joel song (I'm SO showing my age right now) called The Entertainer.  Perhaps it's just me being a sentimental lagabout, but it feels like there were things there that didn't end up in the final piece due to revising/editing. Here's the pertinent passage from the song:

I am the entertainer,I come to do my show.You've heard my latest record,It's been on the radio.Ah, it took me years to write it,They were the best years of my life.It was a beautiful song.But it ran too long.If you're gonna have a hit,You gotta make it fit--So they cut it down to 3:05.

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading this book, and I CAN'T WAIT to pick up the next one! If you need a little extra incentive to go out and get it, check out her book  trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin